Monday, January 19, 2009

"<your name>@usps.com"


I heard a news story on NPR.org about the billions of dollars the United States Post Office lost this past year. And it struck me that at it's core the USPS is about delivery. So, what if at the birth of the expansion of the internet, when yahoo and hotmail began offering free email, what if the leaders of the USPS saw the explosion email would be globally and offered free email as usps.com. I bet 9 of 10 people who made the decision to pick a free email service would have chosen <your name>@usps.com over yahoo and hotmail. I know I would have. No doubt. It makes so much sense to have the same company that handles my home mail, handle my email. And today USPS would not be known as just snail mail. Not sure how the USPS could have capitalized on multimillions of people having free email serviced by the United States Post Office, but I'm sure lots of people would be thinking of lots of ideas :)

No comments: