Monday, March 29, 2010

Oprah's Favorite New Gadget

I love Oprah! When Oprah loves something she’s passionate about it and tells anyone who will listen to her.

Last week I was working from home, my usual Thursday routine. I had the TV on in the background (yes I work with the TV on). At 4pm, after watching Ellen DeGeneres dance at the beginning of her show, I changed to The Oprah Show. It was a great show about the documentary Food Inc., and at the end there was a special Amazon offer. I went to Oprah.com in search of the offer, I couldn’t find it, which turned out to be a blessing because what I did find was truly wonderful - Oprah’s favorite new gadget from Amazon, the Amazon Kindle. There’s a great article, "Oprah's Favorite New Gadget",
about all the reasons Oprah loves the Amazon Kindle. My favorite part is Oprah had Jeff Bezos, the Founder and CEO of Amazon, give a Kindle tutorial on her show to her entire studio audience and a group of moms in San Diego. It was fabulous! Doesn’t everyone call the
CEO when they want to know how to use their new gadget?! Check out the article and the video tutorial here, "Take Jeff Bezos Amazon Kindle Class".

I have only one piece of constructive criticism about the tutorial: it would have been better if there was a close up camera shot on the Kindle while Jeff Bezos was demonstrating how to use the features so the audience in the studio and at home could see what he was doing on the device. It appeared some of the audience was having a hard time following along, I think that would have helped them. Of course, this critique is more for the producers than Oprah or Jeff.

Finally, seeing all those women learn how to use the Kindle gave me a thrill as GoGadgetGurl!™, because there was an entire audience of women discussing how to use their new gadget together (yes Oprah gave everyone in the audience a Kindle).

I started this blog to encourage more conversations about our gadgets with each other. I believe the more we share our enthusiasm for - or frustration with - the tech in our lives it empowers us to participate more fully as savvy consumers in the design, development, and production of the next tech gadgets. Hope I don’t sound to preachy…

Knowledge - the ultimate fashion accessory!
GoGadgetGurl!™

1 comment:

Byron said...

If I recall correctly, that was actually a repeat show from last season. My wife watches regularly, but I always "look up" when she's doing gadget shows or the "Oprah's favorite" give-away shows. Gadget shows like that remind me how much I (and you) are on the cutting edge. Oprah and much of her audience we're like the Kindle was somehow "magical", not sure what buttons to push, etc. She had another show a couple of years ago, about how email works. That was classic!